Thursday, May 9, 2013

New Sunscreens!

DSC_0200
DSC_0205
CVS/Pharmacy Ultimate Sheer Liquid SPF70 & La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ulta Light Sunscreen Fluid SPF60


I picked up two sunscreens a month ago because it was getting warmer and sunnier and I didn't want to use my Kiehl's Super Fluid UV Defense sunscreen (mainly because of the alcohol content).


DSC_0203
CVS/Pharmacy Ultimate Sheer Liquid SPF70 $12.79


I came in only planning to get the La Roche-Posay sunscreen, but bought this one because I had an $8 off $40 purchase coupon. This is supposed to be a generic to Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Liquid, but I bought this instead because it was cheaper. The ingredients aren't exactly the same as on the website so here they are:

Active:
Avobenzone 3.0%, Homosalate 10%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 7.5%, Oxybenzone 5%

Inactive:
Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Asorbic Acid, BHT, Bisabolol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Camelia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Chlorphenesin, Cholecalciferol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Fragrance, Isomalt, Lecithin, Mannan, Pentylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Polyester-8, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Retinyl Palmiate, Silica, Sodium Benzoate, Steareth-10, Steareth-2, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Cell Extract, Water, Xanthan Gum

Some of the claims it makes are:
-Perfect for daily use under makeup
-Light, clean & oil free
-Won't clog pores


DSC_0204
La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ulta Light Sunscreen Fluid SPF60 $29.99

Active:
Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 5%, Oxybenzone 6%

Inactive:
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Alcohol Denatured, Silica, Dicaprylyl Ether, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, Diethylhexyl Syringylidenemalonate, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Nylon-12, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Lauryl PEG/PPG 18/18 Methicone, Sodium Chloride, Caprylyl Glycol, Methylparaben, Poly C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Disodium EDTA, Cassia Alata (Candle Tree) Leaf Extract, Maltodextrin, Dodecene, Poloxamer 407

Claims:
-Fast absorbing, matte finish


Here they are compared to the other sunscreens I was using:

DSC_0208

Out of the two sunscreens, I prefer the CVS brand one simply because it's cheaper and doesn't have alcohol (I plan on returing the La-Roche Posay one). I thought the La-Roche Posay one was drying out my skin due to the alcohol content, but my skin was simply dry and wearing foundation was making it worse. Still, I dislike the alcohol content in this sunscreen. It's third from the top of the ingredients list. When I apply it, the smell of alcohol is strong just like Kiehl's Super Fluid sunscreen.

Both of these sunscreens are shake types that have a milky consistency. The CVS one is more thick and has a fragrance, but I prefer smelling that over alcohol. Both of them don't really give a matte finish, but I put it over my serums anyway (compared to putting it over a completely bare face). 

I would repurchase the CVS one, but I'm starting to get tired of these milk type sunscreens. I saw a review on Missha's All Around Safe Block and got excited because it has a gel type consistency, but I was looking at the ingredients and the active ones only protect against UVB rays : (. So sad. 

No comments: